Continuous Casting Dies
Continuous Casting also called Strand Casting is a process in which molten metal solidifies into a semi finished product such as billet, rod, wire, tube or strip. In Continuous Casting, the molten metal is continuously poured into a bottomless die structure which further solidifies into a shape of die.
We provide machined Graphite components such as Dies and Molds for Continuous Casting Applications.Our both Horizontal and Vertical graphite dies and molds are designed to sustain casting for different types of metals.
Casting Dies Sold
Years of Expertise & Experience
Why is Graphite dies and molds the first choice for Continuous Casting?
Continuous Casting can be considered as a heat extraction process as it involves removal of superheat and latent heat of solidification.Graphite dies and molds are critical to the process and allow the metal processing from the molten state to the solid state, while forming semi-finished products.
Since Graphite has the ability to oppose the wetting by molten metals and, it renders utility as a mold material for strip dies, tubular dies, and other molds used in continuous casting processes for copper and copper alloys (brass, bronze, and nickel silver), aluminum alloys, cast iron, precious metals, and a variety of other metals.
Another vital factor that makes Graphite a popular choice for Continuous Casting is its ability to self-lubricate. Graphite is a strong lubricant, it generates low friction between the mold and the cast material.Thus allowing for smooth extraction of the casting.
Unique Characteristics of Graphite for Continuous Casting process-
- High Thermal Conductivity: the heat transfer is the key to convert the metal from a liquid to a solid state
- Competent for withstanding molten metal températures: graphite sublimates at 3,650°C at atmospheric pressure
- Low Coefficient of Thermal Expansion (CTE): This provides dimensional solidity
- High thermal shock resistance
- Graphite is a self lubricant
- Good machinability
- Good mechanical strength (tensile strength, compressive strength, flexural strength)
of thermal conductivity Material W/m ° K
Grade selection is highly significant in Continuous Casting. The factors that determine the selection of the grade of graphite are:
- Casting speed
- Size and shape of the part to be casted
- Quantity of alloy
- Casting orientation (vertical or horizontal)
Expo offers a wide range of specialized graphite grades from Toyo Tanso (Japan), such as IG-11, IG-70 & IG-15. Because of their reliable material qualities such as high thermal conductivity, low C.T.E etc., they can be used for continuous casting of gold, silver, copper, copper- nickel alloys and other precious metals.
Toyo Tanso Grades/ Advantages-
This basic grade has provided solutions to casters throughout the world for over 20 years. It can be used to cast a wide range fo different alloys and presents a smooth sliding surface.
Medium density, high resilience and higher thermal conductivity than IG-11.
Highest in density and thermal conductivity. Presents a smooth sliding surface and rapid cooling.
|Bulk Density - gr/cc||1.77 g/cm3||1.83 g/cm3||1.90 g/cm3|
|Electrical Resistivity µΩ - in||433||394 µΩ - in||375 µΩ - in|
|Flexural Strength MPa - psi||5655||6817||7830|
|Comprehensive Strength MPa - psi||11310||14924||15000|
|Tensile Strength - psi||3625||4497||4200|
|Elastic Modulus||10 GPa||11.8 GPa||11.8 GPa|
|CTE (350°C - 450°C)||4.5 x 10-6/°C||4.6 x 10-6/°C||4.8 x 10-6/°C|
|Thermal Conductivity W/m - °k||120 W/m - °k||128 W/m - °k||140 W/m - °k|
Continuous Casting Products & Applications-
Graphite can be utilized with various continuous casting techniques - both for horizontal and vertical orientation. The products which can be produced are:
- Cooling Plates
- Strip casting dies
- Casting moulds
- Semi-finished products (round/square materials)
- Counting Plates
The alloys which can be manufactured by continuous casting using Graphite Molds & Dies are given below:
- Oxygen-Free Copper
- Brasses and leaded brasses(Cu-Zn, Cu-Zn-Pb )
- Silicon bronzes (Cu-Si-Sn)
- Silver and silver alloys (Ag)
- Coinage alloys (Cu-Ni)
- Copper-nickel alloys and Nickel Silvers (Cu-Ni)
- Bronze( Bz)
- Aluminum-tin alloys (Al-Sn)
- Gold and gold alloys (Au)
Benefits of Graphite Mold for Continuous Casting-
- Better dimensionally precise castings are accomplished at a much lower rate than in sand casting and investment casting.
- The shape is expandable and does not twist or oxidize, subsequently it tends to be utilized more than once.
- Graphite molds which are effectively machinable can be made and altered rapidly.
Expo (founded in 1985) specializes in the machining of Graphite & Composites from more than a decade. Manufacturingand supplying high-grade products for industries has always been a pride for us. Our product ranges from Graphite EDM electrodes to customized graphite dies for Vacuum furnaces, continuous casting industry, sintering and also Carbon Composites - CFC and Carbon Fiber Insulation Boards, and many more! We use the high-grade raw material to make our products with extensive quality control norms.